News and views from the money side of music
Deadline time …
The time is arriving to get your live performance registrations in for BMI and ASCAP members:
- BMI Live deadline — 21st Dec for performances in the period Apr 17 — Sept 17. Get them in here.
- ASCAP OnStage deadline — 31st Dec for performances in the period Jul 17 — Sept 17. Get them in here.
In the news …
- King Gizzard release the masters of their new album for free so fans can press vinyl themselves: A brand new model? Our thoughts on the concept and the implications it has in the current industry climate.
- Player v. UMG: The Case of the Missing Royalties: It’s alleged that Universal were clipping 25% off the ticket for “intra-company payments.” Not as uncommon as you might think.
- Billboard Charts to add to add more weight to paid streams: So … If you pay more for music, your musical opinion is worth more in the charts? And how does this then effect escalations? Discuss.
- Q: “How much do I make from my music on Facebook?”: A: Absolutely nothing. But how will it play out once a deal is done?