News and views from the money side of music
$150mil SiriusXM/SoundExchange Settlement
Well, that was a mouthful. It’s also a pocketful of money that is about to be distributed by SoundExchange.
It comes after a lengthy legal battle over miscalculated royalties from 2007–2017. SoundExchange will be distributing the funds across right holders and artists whose sound recordings were used during that period. So, even if you had your biggest hit ten years ago, you could be up for a little windfall.
If you’re a performer and you are not a member of SoundExchange, I’d suggest you look into it. SoundExchange will not pay the artist share to the label like they do in Australia so it’s yours for the taking.
Feel free to get in touch with us for information regarding registration or details around SoundExchange and SiriusXM in general.
In the news:
- European Copyright Reform voted down: The usual suspects came out to fiercely defend creators’ rights to fair payment on one side, and to fiercely defend their memes and “the internet as we know it” on the other. All things aside though, YouTube, why do you pay so little?
- YouTube “not discussing the value gap”: Oh well then … No, but really … Why?
- In the UK Vinyl sales bigger than YouTube income: Perhaps in the meantime it’s worth considering physical formats again.
- Glassnote NOT suing Childish Gambino over SoundEx royalties: But Glover’s side have threatened action, thinking they’re entitled to 95% of the total SoundExchange income. Glassnote thinks not. (And If the recordings were under the usual type of license deal, I think not too. Sorry Don.)
As always, don’t hesitate to touch base for any royalty related questions. We’re always happy to chat!
- APRA Live Performance Report deadline — 31st of July: for any gigs you played since the 1st of July 2017. Login and get entering here
- PPCA registration deadline — 31st of August: Make sure all new recordings ae registered with PPCA to be involved in this years distribution. Get them in here. If you’re not yet a member of PPCA you can register here